Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Historic Photo


Rick sent me this great picure of our great grandfather and great grandmother, Valentine and Ellen Geib (the couple on the right). They are the parents of our grandfather, Fred Peter Geib. The notations on the margins are so valuable in identifying everyone. I'm thrilled to have the picture to add to my collection. Rick promises to send more! Hooray!

Therapy was scheduled for 8:15 this morning, but when I got outside to the car it was completely snow and ice covered and I couldn't even get the door open. Eventually things got warmed up and cleared off, but I was 15 minutes late for my appointment. Kari is very understanding and she wasn't the least bit upset - we did everything we usually do, just faster than usual. Thursday I'm scheduled for 7:30 a.m., so I promised her that I would go out and warm up the car before breakfast. Therapy went well - I can tell my leg is getting stronger even though it's still very weak.

I dropped some books off at the Library, drove through downtown, and then went shopping at Tom's 14th St. I haven't been there for ages - we've been shopping at the new Oleson's mostly. Got a pot roast for dinner.

Walked into the nursing home, but Mom was not in her room - they said she was in therapy. So I dropped in on her downstairs just to say hi. Her therapist is very nice - her name is Pam. She had Mom bundled in microwave heated pads on her right shoulder and her hands. I was glad to see that Mother is very cooperative with Pam.

Yesterday Dick went to Dr. Tim to have a troublesome spot removed from his nose. He didn't spend much time at the Agency - just came home and rested a bit. I know he was feeling better later though, because he went out to find some new geocaches that have appeared in our area. I took the day off yesterday.

More geocaching for Dick today. He went down to the Manton area and found 3, and he placed a special coin in one of Koda's caches. It was cold, windy and snowy - so he came home to stoke up the fire.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Guess what? My name is Priscilla Larson Maves, and my great grandparents are also Valentine and Ellen Geib. My grandmother, Atta Geib Olthouse was your grandfather Fred's sister. Your mother, Marian Geib Kanitz, and my mother, Elizabeth Olthouse Larson, are first cousins. My mother is 90, and she just told me all about your mother. Also, sadly, she thinks your mother recently passed away.
I was on-line looking for family history and I found your blog.
Are you aware of the farmhouse our great grandparents built on 92nd Steet in Calendoia, MI? The house is for sale. It is 111 years old and still very beautiful. My mother, sister and I took a tour a week ago. Have you ever seen it or been in it? It would be wonderful to be able to make it a historical site, as it was a remakably modern house for its era.
The Olthouses are having a family reunion at Dutton Shadyside Park the first weekend in August, and they plan to tour the house.
You can correspond with me via my email pmaves@norlight.com. I live in the Chicago, IL, area.