Monday, May 26, 2008

Tallinn

Crown Princess Deck Log
St. Petersburg to Tallinn - 196.2 Nautical Miles
Average Speed - 20.6 Knots
Noon position: Alongside in Tallinn
Sky: Clear Skies
Temperature: 52 F

This is Memorial Day back home - no mention of it here on the boat or in Estonia. We had a really early start this morning, and then our tour bus was one half hour late - which was a foreshadowing of the day! Our guide was Sven and he was a rookie. He had really no idea how to conduct a tour. He never introduced the driver, he was continuously distracted by passengers' questions, and he never gave good instructions about how long the stops would be and where to meet, etc. Lots of people on the tour were dissatisfied! It was fun talking to the other folks on the bus who were retired teachers.
Sven the Incompetent:
Tallinn was another interesting town with a neat skyline and lots of spires. We were only in port for 5 hours, so we really couldn't do it credit. We did get lots of good pictures though:








Dick and I changed for the Captain's Circle Cocktail Party. Free Rum Punch - woo woo!

1 comment:

Richard said...

Geocaching Estonia;
Useless Sven is lucky to have escaped alive. I was not the only tour victim who wanted his hide. When the tour began, I specifically asked him if there was a shuttle we could take back to the ship when his part of the tour was done. He told me he would show me later. After the last stop I asked him where to catch the shuttle and he said I should have asked him earlier.
Back at the dock I had 90 minutes before we had to be back on board and a cache only 1/2 mile away. I power walked to the cache area and discovered that it was in a parking structure. I started up the ramp but was made uncomfortable by the signage, the red slash/circles in a foreign language. Since there was another cache just over a half mile further and I still had almost an hour, I went for that one. A search determined that it was in side a bus station. Time was running out so I gave up and hustled the mile back to the dock as fast as I could. I was only about ten minutes late but I was not alone. There was a long line of us stragglers waiting to board. Many were getting off Princess cruise chartered buses. The couple behind me informed me that they had caught one of the many shuttles that were lined up down town. Thanks a pantload Sven!