Friday, March 12, 2010

My Class is History!



Yesterday's Grand Traverse Herald had this picture in its historical pictures feature. It's the kind of thing where they ask, "Can anybody identify any of these individuals?" It was like a bolt out of the blue for me. I could identify six of them without even wracking my brain - they are kids I went to school with from grades 1-12 ! They're in my TCHS class of 1953. This picture was taken when they were in 8th or 9th grade, at the new BoGi Club, so it would hve been 1949 or '50. (BoGi stands for Boys and Girls) I'm not in the picture, but if I could walk into the picture, everybody there would know me, and I would know them all very well!

The girl closest to the camera at the table is Jackie Brown, one of my best elementary school friends. She and Pauline Brigham and I were best friends at Union Street School in grades 1 to 7. Pauline passed away a few years ago, and I've lost track of Jackie. We used to have one birthday party for both of us - her birthday is March 20, and mine March 22. Such good memories.

I hope everybody can live long enough to become historical (without becoming hysterical).

A nice man is in our kitchen laying down our new vinyl flooring. He'll be finished today. The old floor was beginning to come apart at the seams, so this time we're having no seams.

1 comment:

Jana said...

First Martha Cook and now this! That is really fun. Before I read what you had written I scanned that pic so hard thinking, "But ... none of those is my mom!"