Saturday, December 15, 2012

The Hobbit

The scenery in this movie is spectacular!
Bilbo Baggins of Bag End
Gandalf, my favorite
Lord Elrond
Galadriel, magical Galadriel !
Chip is working.  Laurie and Dylan took us to the movies - I never tire of these Tolkien stories.  They have been part of our lives for over 40 years!

This is a spectacular film - costumes, scenery, settings - just out of this world (well, really).  I wasn't too sure that I would like this Bilbo actor, but he was very believable and charming in his own way.   He ended up becoming a new favorite.  The dwarves, not so much.  They seemed to me to be contrived and overdone, especially in hair and costume.  All of that did not take away from my overall enjoyment.

Rivendell was awesome, as usual, and Lord Elrond is again both commanding and charismatic...such an elegant character.  Galadriel was magical as always - played indeed by Cate.

My favorite parts were the scenes in Rivendell.   Dick like the "banquet" at Bag End, including cleaning up the dishes!  We all enjoyed the battle denouement, with Gandalf using the butterfly to communicate with Galadriel who summoned the eagles who rescued them from the wolves.  Wow.

I was really absorbed by this movie, and I would go again.

Only problem was, I ate too much popcorn and couldn't really enjoy the Chinese take-away later.  So old and still imprudent!


No comments: