Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Dr. Vickers and the Veterans Day Parade



When I was a child, it was called Armistice Day:
Armistice Day (which coincides with Remembrance Day and Veterans Day, public holidays) is commemorated every year on 11 November to mark the armistice signed between the Allies of World War I and Germany at Compiègne, France, for the cessation of hostilities on the Western Front of World War I, which took effect at eleven o'clock in the morning—the "eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month" of 1918. While this official date to mark the end of the war reflects the ceasefire on the Western Front, hostilities continued in other regions, especially across the former Russian Empire and in parts of the old Ottoman Empire.
My parents always referred to November 11 as Armistice Day - and I still think of it that way, although the name Veterans Day has been in use for decades!  Old habits die hard.

This morning in Stuart they had the annual Veterans Day Parade.  It lines up right near the hospital and doctors offices - a crazy traffic situation.  I had my first appointment at 10 a.m. with my new Florida nephrologist, Dr. Jean Vickers.  It was so interesting, because the parade was forming less than a block away, right outside our window!  It was really funny when she was trying to check my pulse with the persistent loud drumbeat coming at us - we just had to giggle.  Dr. Vickers is young, funny, peppy, knowledgeable, interesting, helpful and compassionate.  She spent an hour talking to me, and I was very impressed.  I'm having a paracentesis next Monday, and doing a holter monitor thingy starting Friday morning.  I also have a couple of new prescriptions.  Hooray for the medical profession!

No comments: