Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Are You Ready For Some (Gulp) Football?

This football season will be a rough one. I can't find anything to like.

I'm not happy with this coach. I don't understand his attitude, his program, his performance, or his expectations. I know what I expect from the Michigan football program, and this isn't it.

The NCAA problems are troubling.

The newly changed stadium has outrageously elitist new seating.

Stadium policies are restrictive and oppressive.

It's alarming that the Alumni Association is still trying to peddle tickets at this late date. Tickets for the Bowling Green game, OK, but Illinois and Wisconsin?? They can't even find buyers for Big Ten (or 11 or 12) games? I don't know whether to cry or throw up.


One week from Saturday we'll be driving down to Ann Arbor for the opening game of the Michigan football season That day will also see the dedication of the new, improved stadium, which I now call The Bigger House. . Dick talked me into it - I really don't want to go. I'm trying to look at it as an historic event. The game will be against....who?...Connecticut? Are you sure? Oh well.

Here are examples the the obscenely outrageous new seating prices:
If you want a ticket for a "club seat" (I'm wondering what club that is):

DONATION REQUIREMENTS

• Donation requirements for indoor and outdoor club seats are scaled relative to the seat's proximity to mid-field.
• Indoor club seats require an annual contribution of $4,000 per seat, plus the cost of a football season ticket (and parking, if requested and available).
• Outdoor club seats require an annual contribution of $3,000 per seat (Zone 1), $2,250 per seat (Zone 2) or $1,500 per seat (Zone 3) plus the cost of a season ticket (and parking, if requested and available).


If all you want is an outdoor chairback seat, it's $2000 per seat plus the ticket price and parking.

You can have an indoor suite for $85.000 annually (every year!). If you're not interested in having the best location, the prices go way down - from $75,000 to $55,000 annually. ANNUALLY! And Hey! That price includes sixteen tickets and 4 parking passes - what a bargain.

I don't know whether to cry or throw up.

Dad was at the original stadium dedication in 1927 while he was a student. He graduated in 1930, and bought season tickets for the first time in 1948. Mom and Dad bought tickets for the whole family, so I went to my first game in 1948. When the students cheered, I thought they were saying "Let's don't boo!" I was twelve. Things were more idyllic then. Everything was much simpler - you parked on a residential street, walked to the stadium, sat on a bleacher seat, and watched Michigan win.

We still have our regular seats in the End Zone (whew). They didn't mess around with the end zone at all, so at least in that way we're lucky.

It shouldn't be too hard to sneak a paper bag into the stadium, so that when things get too horrible, I can put it over my head. And if worse comes to worse, it can be a barf bag.

I'll color it maize and blue.

3 comments:

Lesley said...

Heya Nancy! So it's that time of year again when you once more start talking about football and all things maize and blue.

I have a friend on Livejournal - well, he's not a friend friend, just someone who's journal I enjoy reading. He's from Michagan too and he recently posted something that I thought you might enjoy reading. So here's the link!

http://turnberryknkn.livejournal.com/784448.html

Cheers m'dear!

Mitchy

NJKS said...

Thanks, Mitchy!
He's not only a Michigan Man, but also an excellent writer.

Lesley said...

*nods* He is extremely good writer. Some of his medical stories make me laugh, cry or cheer or all three. And he makes them accessible to non-medical people like me. I hope one day he has the time to write a book.